When can I turn off the lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by citizenhen, Apr 5, 2009.

1. citizenhen

citizenhen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Greetings! We moved our 6 chix (now almost 4 weeks old) out into their new coop a few days ago. I am still leaving the heat lamp on all night, into late morning until it seems to warm up outside. The overnight lows look like anywhere from 40F to 60F over the next week (one night down to 35).

My question is, When will I know it is warm enough and they are big enough that they don't need the heat lamp? It was so warm tonight when I went out to turn it on (about 8pm) and they were all snuggled up in a corner (making sleepy little chirps) when I came out... I don't want the light to keep them up and active when they should be sleeping, I don't want them to get too hot, and I don't want them to catch a chill!

How will I know? What are some guidelines for turning off the lamp??

Thanks!

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    When your night time temps get to 50 or when they are about 6 or 8 weeks old. They will need that lamp early of an am esp because it gets colder then. My coop is also warmer in the evevnings but mine are 5 weeks old and I still keep their light on. Put it at one end so if it is too warm for them they can find the spot that is comfortable for them. If they are huddled in one end before the light is on they may be cold. Jean

3. citizenhen

citizenhen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks for answering so quick!! I will keep the light on (earlier even!)

4. Cluck4Me

Cluck4Me Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    You've gotten great advice....

I babied my first chicks because I raised them during the colder months!
    I moved them at about 6 weeks from the garage to the coop...and placed their trusty/familiar brooder in the center of the coop (8X10 shed). I removed the wired top off of the brooder and shined the lamp at the center until seasonal temps got higher at night. This gave them the chance to hop out of the brooder if they become too hot. The roosting rails inside my coop are generally the same height as the top of the brooder...so they had the choice to hop out and roost.
    I also fed and watered outside of the brooder to encourage independence.
    They did great, so I must have done something right! [​IMG]
    Best of luck!! [​IMG]

- Sandy

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I am having this issue, also. My 6 weekers are outside in their temp home (a run with a doghouse and heat lamp). They are totally feathered out, but it's getting down in the 20's still at night so I turn on the heat lamp at about 6pm, to let it get warm in their house before dark.
    I have no clue when to take the lamp away. My husband thinks NOW, but it's just too cold, IMO. But they are all up bright and early running around when it's still below freezing, so I don't know.......

6. Cluck4Me

Cluck4Me Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    Quote:Wow, I wouldn't take any chances..20+ degrees seems cold! I must be a huge sucker, because at those temps, I would still have my lamp on for them or at least on a timer for just a few more hours of heat. [​IMG]

7. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:Wow, I wouldn't take any chances..20+ degrees seems cold! I must be a huge sucker, because at those temps, I would still have my lamp on for them or at least on a timer for just a few more hours of heat. [​IMG]

It seems waaay too cold for me, too!! [​IMG] It gets up into the 60's-70's during the day, but easily dips down into the lower 30's and even 20's at night. During the day I turn the lamp off because they never go in their house anyway, they're out scratching around and sunbathing, but I do leave it on until about 10am.
    My husband, however, thinks "animals are designed to live outside" [​IMG] which they are, don't get me wrong. I just think he's a little extreme.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by