When can I...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CarrieW, Aug 26, 2010.

1. CarrieW

CarrieW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    I have 2 coops of chickens, 1 coop has my little over a year old laying hens, then the other coop has my 19 week olds. The 19 week olds have started laying, in fact I had 2 little eggs out there this morning. My question is when can I open up the wall between the 2 coops and let all the chickens live together? My older chickens have layer pellets in their coop, along with oyster shell. The younger chickens have grower in theirs. Can the younger ones eat the layer pellets and oyster shell and can the older ones eat the grower? I was told that if a younger chicken eats the layer pellets they can 'blow out'? (the feed store told me this). Not sure what this means, but I don't think I want a blown out chicken.

PS...I have 2 Marans that have started laying, they have already been moved into the big girl coop, and out of the 25 younger girls I really don't have any idea who is laying, have gotten several brown, a few white eggs and a lovely pink egg. I don't know if this helps, but I have Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Leghorns, Light Brown Leghorns, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Easter Eggers, Naked Necks and Speckled Suxxex.

Thanks everyone!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have read that you aren't supposed to supplement with oyster shell until they are laying because it might damage their kidneys. But yours are laying! I wouldn't waste your grower feed- heck I'd mix it in with your layer feed and feed it to your younger ones, then switch them to just layer when you run out (or now if you are out). And supplement everyone with a pan of oyster shell free choice.

This is what I would do. As to mixing your birds together, just watch to make sure they don't pull feathers out or draw blood. A little pecking is ok and normal, but not true persistent bullying.

3. CarrieW

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    They arn't all laying yet, you would still move everyone in together?

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    At 19 weeks, they're going to be laying any minute. I would go ahead and put them together for sure.

5. CarrieW

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    Thanks guys!!! [​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Put 'em together- just monitor for violence. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by