When can mama and chick's be separated ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jen61871, Jun 27, 2016.

1. jen61871

jen61871 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Reinholds, PA
    I have two 3 week old chicks hatched under a hen who had been a wonderful mama. I free range my chickens from noon until dusk but I have the hen and chick's in a fenced in yard all day and the hen seems to be getting anxious to go out and free range with the flock but I don't know if she will easily go back in the yard if I let her out for a little. I can't leave the gate open because the chicks I am assuming can't free range yet. Can you tell I'm new at chicks ? Ha ha
    What should I do? Just keep her in the run with the chick's for now? There's more then enough room

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I had a broody and she was such a good Momma. Just before the chicks feathered out - she just turned off the Broody switch on her own and was done with them - Much to the horror of the chicks. They stop being broody on their own and caring for the chicks when they are ready, you really don't have to worry about it. She will start to lay eggs again. I noticed when she was out with the chicks the rooster bred with her and the next day she was done. If you want to move the chicks you can just move them whenever but the Momma will be done mothering them naturally on her own.
    Caroline

3. jen61871

jen61871 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Reinholds, PA
    Thank you and will the chick's be ok on their own at 3 weeks old?

4. Miss Henman

Miss Henman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2016
    Newcastle
    My chick is an only child and I let the chick and its mum be free range when ever they want when the chicks are ready the mum leads it outside and they go in and out during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by