1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can mama and her babies be introduced to the flock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jeremyhodges, Apr 8, 2017.

1. jeremyhodges

jeremyhodges Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    San Diego
    I have a small backyard flock of 5 hens in San Diego. Because they're all getting up there in age I decided to get 4 chicks from Meyer Hatchery. The chicks arrived last Tuesday. Two days before my chicks got here I had a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte go broody. On Wednesday (the day after the chicks arrived and three days after she went broody) I decided to take a chance and put my chicks underneath the broody hen. Most of the things I read said to only do this is your hen has been broody for weeks so I stood by and monitored her for a long time. It worked like a charm! I'm so excited to not have to deal with heat lamps, feather dust, etc. Mom and her adoptive chicks have been together for 4 days now and she's doing great. I walled off half of the coop with hardware cloth, so mom and chicks are currently separated from the rest of my flock. At what age can I open things up to give mom and chicks access to the run? Yesterday I did let all of my chickens including mom and chicks out into the yard and the older hens completely ignored mom and chicks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I usually give the chicks a week or two to get stronger, and to learn how to follow momma. Than I start supervised mingling. It will go easy most times, occasionally there will be drama. As the chicks are a bit older they can avoid most attacks and know to get back to mom. Sometimes I continue to separate out mom at night and sometimes I don't based on how comfortable I feel about how it's going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by