when can meaties go outside?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CDennis, Nov 26, 2010.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    My meaties are quickly outgrowing their brood area and I wasn't expecting such cold temps so now I am getting a bit concerned about putting them in a tractor but I would sure love my stock room back and they are messy! Our lows are in the teens and highs in the 30's. There is still a lot of good stuff in my garden for them to eat, but I would also prefer not to loose them. Pretty sure the decision to raise my first batch in winter was not my smartest move. [​IMG]

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Put em out once the get there feathers or have the in a coop with a heat lamp.

3. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lamps (I used 2 when we had a frost here with my 2wk olds) and deep litter, no drafts. If it gets too cool they will pile up and smother each other (because they aren't smart enough to move when they can't breathe [​IMG] )

4. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Yes I learned the not smart enough to move when they can't breath the other day...so sad! Mine are 1 month next week. I think I'll be sticking them out then.

5. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    well, i would keep a lamp on them the entire time at night ( but no feed at night) if i were you--two fold reason---avoid pile up and to conserve body weight. We have a small 8x8 tractor to keep them in, moved daily. we cover it w. tarp/plywood at night to protect against wind /rain. hope this helps!

to console ya... i have read that many people lose many CX in the summer b.c. they can not withstand the heat--- and that they tend to do better with colder temps vs extreme heat.

GL to you.

we are in our last phase of our meaties. so far things have worked out so wonderfully, mainly due to the things i have read here.

6. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    It is cool here today, and really windy. My meats are 5 wks old, but I have a lamp on in the corner of their shelter so they can have a warm spot if they want it. They have a large pen and the shelter is 8x6, so they have plenty of room to just lay in the sun / out of the wind as well. I leave a lamp on every night, so I for sure would with your temps... in fact if you have 2 and the room for it you can space them out some to try to prevent piling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by