1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when can mom and baby be with the general flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Freebie, May 22, 2007.

1. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Buffy's baby was 2 weeks old on Saturday. I let them have the pullet coop during the day and I put the pullets out with the hens to free range. This is going pretty good. But Buffy wants out in the yard. I did let her and the baby out about a week ago and stayed down there for a few hours. One of the pullets pecked the baby in the head while Buffy was chasing off another one. She of course went immediately and I thougt was going to make pullet soup out of the other one. I then rounded up Buffy and the baby and put them back in the coop. Am I being to protective of the Baby? Will Buffy take care of things? I did not let the hens out the last time, but they are out now. What to do??

2. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Hey Denise! Why don't you try and let just Buffy and the chick out just by themselves without the pullets. Have you tried having Buffy and the chick free range with Lucky and the bantams? Do you think they still remember Buffy? I guess Buffy is just going alittle stir crazy right now and wants to enjoy all this beautiful weather. We can try this when I come out sat. Mary

3. Freebie

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Right now everyone is out except Buffy and the Baby. Lucky is making it known to the pullets that she is large and in charge. I stopped down to the barn on my way out to get some plants and there was Lucky, keeping all the pullets in front of the barn with just a look. They wanted to go in the barn, but she would not let them. So, I walked up and said, "Hi girls" Lucky of course, did not move, she must have had a point to prove to someone. But all 10 of them followed me into the barn. I think I will go down and let her out for awhile, and just see what happens. Hopefully all will be well and I can leave them to go plant my garden.

I will bring the camera and get some new pictures of the baby for you. Her coloring is so pretty. I wonder what kind of mix she is. (I sure hope shes a she anyway) Gary is hoping for a ROOSTER!! Can you believe it??

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If it was me, I would make them their own little chicken tractor or even a light-weight daytime pen, as simple as a circle of wire with some shade, food and water. Then you'd have something to use for the next time you have a hen and chick(s). It would be less stressful for everybody and they could get used to each other safely, too. I think it's going to be awhile before the chick is old enough to be with everyone else.

I know I've seen a site with great photos of how to build a little broody coop for a hen and chicks, too. OK, here it is: http://www.pekinbantams.com/broody_coop_1.asp

Of
    course, we always have extra stuff laying around, from assorted projects, so my first thought is to just slap something together. [​IMG]

5. Freebie

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Well, I let Buffy and Baby out and everything went ok till she went in her old coop. There are a couple of broody's in there right now, and she did not like that at all. It is funny as she was on the bottom of the pecking order before going in the broody ward. (dog crate) in the next coop over. But now she just kicked that hen right out of the nest. There are actually two that hang out in there. I had to get her back in the coop and decided to put the other two in an old rabbit cage. It is funny though that no one else bothers the broody. Is it just because she is a mom now? Maybe I should put all the broodies in the other coop and leave the hens and new pullets in the old coop. I just don't know what to do.

6. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I wish I could be of some help but I was just wondering this same thing myself. Have hen with 3, 3 week old chicks. Its scary wondering if babies will get hurt. My book said when babies are 1 month old they can go back with the rest of the flock. I don't know. Seems kind of soon to me.

7. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Quote:This is great and there is a recycle/pallet company just down the street from me. I know where I'm going this weekend. Thanks for the link.

8. Freebie

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    That would be a great little tractor to have, but I am sure my husband would say no way. I am just going to have to wait and keep things the way they are for now. They are fine in the coop just the two of them in a 10x10 during the day, and at night they have to share it with the pullets. But Buffy and the Baby go in the dog crate at night before I bring the pullets in. I will work on him making me a tractor though of some kind.

9. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Freebie,
    Do you close the dog crate before the pullets come in at night? Does your baby have a name yet?

10. Freebie

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    yes, both Buffy and Baby are closed in before the pullets come in. I don't have a name yet. I am kinda leaning toward Derby, but my daughter likes puff. I just took new pics yesterday. I will try to get them posted tonight. The baby is so cute and colorfull. The ends of her feathers are almost white and the top of them are a rich dark brown. I need to go tend the garden now before work.
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Ok, so I decided to put the picture up real quick. So here is baby as of yesterday 2 weeks 3 days old. He/she is so cute!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by