When Can My 8 week year Old Chicks Live Outside with the older ones?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fuzzywaz, Dec 21, 2012.

1. fuzzywaz

fuzzywaz New Egg

Dec 21, 2012
    Hi I just got 6 baby chicks and they need to get out of the house! I was thinking of putting them out with th big ones is that a problem?

sincerely FuzzyWaz

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

The bigger chickens will bully them and may not allow them to eat and drink. What you can do to make it easier for them is divide your run and put them in a separate section, so they can all see each other and get used to each other without the little ones getting harassed by the older chickens. Then when the chicks are older and bigger you can let them mingle.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I X2 what sumi advised.

4. sparrowchic

sparrowchic Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    douglasville, ga
    how old is 'older'? i have 2 three month olds that i am trying to move out to my 6 hens. they did fine when they were all in the yard together, but when i put the little girls in the run this morning, they were pecked and one has a bloody foot. do i just need to keep introducing them and retrying?

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!! :) I would wait till they are around 3 months or 4 months old. If you put them out before they are old enough the others will peck at them and could kill them. Also you need to introduce them slowly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by