When can my babies mix it with the flock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roogirl, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Roogirl

Roogirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    I purchased 2 x 12 week old Barnevelder chicks and they are now 15 weeks old. I have them seperated from my 3 hens and 1 Roo but they can all see each other etc.
    I have been feeding the chicks a chick crumble diet.
    As I have never had chicks before can someone advise me on the following:
    When can I put the the chicks in with the others?
    When can they eat a "normal" diet of grain etc like the others?
    Will I need to lock them in for a few days together rather than free range as I am worried the chicks might take off?
    Your advice is much appreciated [​IMG]

2. SilkieMan

SilkieMan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Elkview
    If the chicks are 15 weeks old you can start them on the grains, but at first I would mix some of their former food in with it just to get them adjusted to it, get a taste. Also, I'd gradually introduce them together, maybe let them in to see how they would do scratching around together. I wouldnt let them free range quite yet, but you should always be with them if you do let them free range. If you want, (which this has always worked for me) you can put them in at night while the others are asleep. Might fuss a little, but theyll get to sleep and wake up the next morning to a new environment. Introducing them like this actually helps them adjust to each other better..most of the time. Good luck!! I hope everything goes well and you can integrate your birds very soon [​IMG]

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    have been feeding the chicks a chick crumble diet.
    As I have never had chicks before can someone advise me on the following:
    When can I put the the chicks in with the others?
    When can they eat a "normal" diet of grain etc like the others?
    Will I need to lock them in for a few days together rather than free range as I am worried the chicks might take off?
    Your advice is much appreciated smile

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Yep the crumbles is good but medicated crumbles or chick feed would be better.

I would start introducing them today but while out in the yard supervised by you so you can step in if needed. If they get along then there you go. The most competetive situation is with food so put multiple bowls of foods around. Not just 2 but 3 or 4 so the bowls can not be dominated by the big girls.

Grains and ect can begin now. Treats can begin now. All the birds can be on medicated chick feed but for the girls that are laying eggs I would crush up oyster shells and offer it for them and a sand box with DE (diatomaceous earth) food grade 5 lbs of sand / dirt to 1 1/2 lbs of DE.

Locking them in the coop or [​IMG] is so the can become familiar with the cage the week they are in there. Start scratching, digging making it there own and know where they can run to in the event of Panic [​IMG] Now while the big girls are out in the run all day or free ranging the little girls are in the coop safe. Now when you go out and give them a treat they all are involved so you can referee then they can interact with each other supervised. If they get along together with food the pecking order is done and they are ready to cohabit together. Put up all together and its over. Do not get upset if thew big girls put the little girls in there place once in a while with a peck on top of the head or back they are reminding them of their position in the flock. The little girls are not stupid and they are faster than the big girls and will stay clear or as far as needed from the big kids. Good luck.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by