When can my baby chicks or outside in their coop ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by connor97, Jan 9, 2013.

1. connor97

connor97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Today 3 of them turned about 3-3 1/2 weeks old, and the other three turned 2-2 1/2 weeks old. When can they go outside without being too cold? We will put the heat lamp in their coop. At night the lowest it gets is the high 30s-40s and it has been in the high 50s-60s during the day. When can they go outside ? I really want to get the three week ones outside ASAP because they are like double the size of my two weekers and are pecking on them a lot ! D:

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Chicks can go outside once they are fully feathered, which is when they are about 6 weeks old. What you can do is pick a sheltered spot that gets some sun and put the older chicks in there during the day. But check on them now and then to see if they're O.K. They'll huddle together if they are too cold. But make sure they have some sun to keep them warm and the difference between inside and out is not to big. At this stage they should ideally be kept at a cooler temperature than the younger ones. Around 10-15 degrees cooler. So they'll get used to being in cooler temps. Would it be possible for you to divide the brooder and keep the different age groups separate?

3. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    We are in colorado and I keep a heat source for chicks until they are three months old. I've had too many cold spells take me and them by surprise. You never know so just play it safe.

4. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Once they are fully feathered they should be ok. If it gets really cold, then you should just keep them in the coop and not let them out for a while.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you have a brooder or a heat lamp outside to give them adequate warmth, and they're sheltered from wind, they're fine to go out now. They'll feather out faster being exposed to the cooler temps and as long as they have the heat lamp to return to to warm up you'll be suprised how much time they spend out in the cooler weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by