When can my chickens go outside??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by arwebb8419, Oct 4, 2016.

1. arwebb8419

arwebb8419 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2016
    North Texas
    I have 7 leghorns and they are 3.5 weeks old! I've been letting them spend all day in their coop and then bringing them back in their brooder at night. I was wondering if I can leave them out all night in their coop? The weather is 80 during the day and 55-60ish at night. I'm worried about it being too cold? They love being outside, and definitely don't want to leave when I come get them at dusk. I'm a first time chicken owner and I love my little babies! Thank you!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! The conventional wisdom is when they are fully feathered they can go into the coop. Of course, much depends on climate, type of bird, night time temps, and quality of the coop (cozy or or drafty).
    Here's a link that will shed some light https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I've had chicks that age outside, full time, with no heat, in 35 to 50 degree weather. Yours will be fine.

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I hope you enjoy it here. I would leave a light on them, but I say they are probably good to stay out at this point. Have fun on BYC!

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

I would wait until they are at least six weeks. Chicks who are in colder temps at a young age often grow more poorly as they spend so much energy on keeping warm.

6. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    I'm in Georgia and put mine outside at 1 week - they are about the same age as yours - 2.5 weeks old now. Its currently around 80 during the day and 60 at night. They have been fine. I did do two things to help them out with heat:
    1) Gave them a cardboard box with a 4x4 inch hole cut about 2" off the ground - filled the bottom 2 inches w/ wood shavings. They cuddle up in there at night to sleep and are plenty warm. I did have to stuff them in there the first 2 nights but they learned after that.

2) If its cold in the morning (below 55 degrees) - i've given them an hour or two of heat lamp in the AM after they come out of the box.

They have been out for a week and a half and seem to be doing great. Growing and feathering well. AND - the basement (where we had the brooder) smells much better.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

I agree with letting them outside! Especially if you are having that kind of weather. :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with Queen Misha, I like to err on the side of caution.

10. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    Hi and [​IMG]! We are glad you joined the flock! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by