When can my chicks come out of the brooder?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by thechickman04, Feb 22, 2008.

1. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    When can my chicks come out of the brooder and into an outdoor coop?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As young as one day old IF you can keep it toasty and it can meet their heat requirements. I have an outdoor brooder I start to use for chicks starting at two weeks. If you cannot heat it, then 6-8 weeks is the usual time, if it is not freezing out.

3. thechickman04

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    thanks its not gonna be freezing in georgia so i dont have to worry bout that

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like a warm part of the world! Just keep an eye on them when you put them out and make sure they don't get too cold or succumb to drafts.

5. thechickman04

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    im gonna keep them in a brooder until tey are atleast 6 weeks old

6. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Silkie, I'm wondering the same thing but I'm near Niagara Falls, NY. I'm looking at about May 1st for my group to hit 6 weeks. The average low is around 45-50, highs about 60-65. What are your thoughts?

7. born2late

born2late Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    Mine will be six week at the end of March. I know they will outgrow the brooder I have them in long before that. I guess I will have to put them into the enclosed coop with a heat lamp when it dips. I still have the empty carboard box my tub came in. I could corral them in that if needed to keep them close enough to the heat source. Right now they have taken over my extra dining area with the big dog kennel turned brooder. They have their wing feathers now and like to jump and flap. Diana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by