1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can my chicks go outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiffster011, Oct 14, 2009.

1. tiffster011

tiffster011 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Hi everyone. We are first time chick owners. My husband is just as excited as I am. We live in arizona. the high temps vary from 94 to 100 outdoors and lows are around 58 to 65 at night.

Right now we have out 6 little chicks inside with a 100 watt lamp in a large box aka broader... they have enough room to get away from the heat of the lamp right now, but we will need something bigger soon. We built a chicken tractor that is outside waiting for chicks to occupy it.

My question is when can these little guys go outside? They are about 1 week old. can I put them outside with my little 100 watt light bulb or are they too young.

Can you point me in the right direction, or give me the old post link that has the answer.

Thanks for your help
    Tiffany

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I don't think i would put them in the tractor quite yet.

Usually they will feather in at about 3 weeks and can do a pretty good job keeping themselves warm.

This also depends on the design of your tractor and how well they would be sheltered from the cool night air inside.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I forgot to say [​IMG]

4. tiffster011

tiffster011 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Quote:Thank you! Yeah i think they would be too cold, our coop is pretty open to help with the crazy heat of summer. I will wait and put them out when they have more feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by