When can my chicks go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenalice, Sep 12, 2010.

1. chickenalice

chickenalice Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    I've got 5 five week old chicks. 3 i think are fully feathered with no more fluff. another one is almost there with a little bit of fluff on her back. and the smallest has feathers everywhere except her head. it's very warm here. 90's during the day and night it is usually around high 70's. so can they go outside yet?

2. Payette

Payette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Earth
    We had our chicks outside when they were fully feathered ( I'm not sure how old they were ) but when it started cooling down for the evening, we would get them in the coop with a heat lamp. I think your chicks would be okay, but I'm not positive. [​IMG]

3. Payette

Payette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Earth
    By the way, [​IMG]

4. chickenalice

chickenalice Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Thanks!

5. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have both my meaties and the "little girls" outside. I started them inside but 27 birds is a little much for the living room. Our days are still in the high 90's and today 103. Nights are high 70's. I put them all in the coop at night in deep litter with a light in the corner. During the day they stay in the runs in the shade with plenty of food and water. They will be 3 weeks old this Tuesday and are about 3/4 feathered. They love it out there. They chase ants and other bugs and eat the grit off the ground. They do a lot of dust bathing and running and flying around. They really seem to love it. My runs are completely covered with hardware cloth to protect from predators.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Mine are outside (with mum) from day 1, always having access back to their brood coop. I live in Wales which can be pretty chilly at times (40-50 overnight, 60-70 by day currently)

Without mum I would wait until they are fully feathered.

Sandie

7. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    Hi there:

Very new here. I ordered 6 pekin ducklings a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately none of them made it in shipping, however since there were warming chicks in the box, I did decide to keep one of the little guys. I was actually wondering the same thing. How old do they have to be before they can go outside. My issue is that I live in NY which gets pretty cold in the winter. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The rule of thumb goes - 90 to 95 the first week, decreasing by 5 degrees a week until such time they are down to 70 degrees (end of week five), at which point they should no longer need supplemental heat.
    If your chicks have already been weaned off their heat lamp, they are ready to go out. Just keep them dry and safe from predators and they'll be fine.
    The sooner you get them outside, exposed to germs so they develop a healthier immune system, the healthier they'll be.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Please read my above post. Get them acclimated to natural temps. as soon as possible and they'll be ready for winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by