When Can my Chicks go outside?

DebbieParker

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
Georgia
I have 6 araucana chicks that are 3 weeks old. I live in GA. Our weather has been in the 80's during the day and mid 50's at night. I have kept them in the house with a heat light since I bought them. When can they move to the outside chicken coop? Thanks!

Normally people suggest you leave them with a heat lamp to control the temps until they are fully feathered, 6-8 weeks. However, it is a personal preference I have found. Since there are 6 of them they will be able to snuggle for warmth, but it still might not be enough, and they could trample each other while trying to keep warm. If it were me, you could put them outside during the day on the warm days, and then either move them back inside at night, or move your heat lamp outside for them. If you decide to do the latter I would take extra care to prevent a fire in the coop!

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

I guess I'd better be patient and wait until they are 6 weeks old. They are in a wire dog crate in the house and they are big enough now to make a mess! But I do love their peeping and want to be sure they are OK so I will wait. I did take the crate outside yesterday and they loved it! Thanks for the advice!

We have often brought ours outside during nice warm days. They love getting to the grasses and enjoy the natural heat. If we think they are getting a bit cold, we have also been known to bring the heat lamp outside too. Nothing like keeping some chicken smell outside!
yesss.gif

Hey, no problem! I am glad to have helped, I have taken my almost 3 week olds outside alot here (Ohio) the last couple of days too and boy are they funny! They even convinced me to make them a bigger brooder! LOL Have a great day!

I love watching them outside where they can REALLY find interesting stuff to peck around! The shredded paper in their inside pen isn't near so exciting! LOL

LOL I will enjoy them inside while it lasts despite the mess, but will be glad when they can permanently go outside where they will be happier and the mess will be out of the house! I do love my chickens already though! They are so fun to watch and interact with!

I plan on putting their brooder in the front porch on warm days so that they can enjoy the fresh air and they won't make such a mess in the house. :)

Back
Top Bottom