When can my chicks go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hoover67, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    I have been letting my chicks out in the back yard during the day (temp ~90's). When can they stay outside all night? The night temperatures are in the 70's. They are so cute! I love to see them scratching in the grass!

Thanks,Michele

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You mean outside in a coop right? Your chicks can tolerate nighttime temps of 70 degrees when they are about 5 to 6 weeks old.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Ours were in their coop by 5 weeks and the temps got down into upper 40's and they were fine. We do have an insulated coop tho. It stayed about 70 in there.

4. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    Great. They just seem to love being out of the brooder during the day. I cannot believe how much fun it is to watch them scratch!!!

Michele

5. TheSavoieFarm

TheSavoieFarm New Egg

Jun 18, 2008
    5 weeks eh? I must be a bad keeper...I put my chicks outside when they were about 3 weeks old

6. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I put mine outside at two days old, and the night temps were mid- 70's. I didn't know any better - but they were fine in their little nest box in the pen. Until a predator killed one at six-weeks. Be careful! :|

7. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:Me too I guess. My chicks have never known what the inside of my coop looks like and I bet they would be soo mad if they did. I have never put them inside just out in the coop even in the very cold early spring, just used a heat lamp. My 3 week olds never even had that, I just used a 25 watt bulb on them and it was plenty warm in the coop at night for them. They are certainly thriving now and I am so glad for that. I try to raise all of them as close to natural as I can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by