When Can My Chicks Join The Adults

GreatGranny

Songster
Mar 2, 2017
North Alabama
At what age should I release my baby chicks into the adult run? I have eight Polish chicks who are three weeks old today. They have been in a mini-coop located in the main coop with the 17-week old chickens for a week and a half now. In that time my husband and I have noticed that there are several hens who tend to coo at the chicks and bring them part of their snacks and a bug now and then to eat. The roo ( a Polish as well) also visits and makes the same cooing noises as the hens but he also scratches and shows them straw and seeds close to their coop to peck at! We have never heard or seen violence towards the little chicks by the larger ones whatsoever!

The main coop is 16X16, fully enclosed with electricity, fans, and heat for winter! The mini coop is in the main coop and is an extra large wire dog kennel with fabric cloth covering it to protect the little ones from the larger ones, and their mini coop has a cover on the top for poop protection should the larger birds fly on top of it! But the chicks are completely visual to the adult chickens, even at night when they go to roost. The smaller chicks have their own roost in their mini coop but are getting more and more anxious to join the flock.

I still worry about their size as compared to some of the hens but they are scrappy little chicks and are feathering nicely and flying all over their little coop and they are outgrowing it very quickly!!

0411180826.jpg 0624181809e.jpg

They are ready to do it now, but with some limitations. Try making little doors that they can go through, but your bigger chickens can’t. That way, they can come out when they want, but can also escape back to their safe zone when needed.

They are ready to do it now, but with some limitations. Try making little doors that they can go through, but your bigger chickens can’t. That way, they can come out when they want, but can also escape back to their safe zone when needed.
We added that "special" door when my hubby put together the mini-coop! We also are setting up escape areas for them so that they can get food and water when they need it in different areas of the Main Coop and outside in the run! Thanks, PetesChicks for the info! :)

This is great information, I too have 3 1/2 week old chicks in a brooder. We’re thinking we will put them outside with the big girls in a separate run, close off the end where there is a tiny coop ( dog house), with perches .

I thought I should keep them separate til they are full size ?? My rir tend to be a little rough , no rooster though

This is great information, I too have 3 1/2 week old chicks in a brooder. We’re thinking we will put them outside with the big girls in a separate run, close off the end where there is a tiny coop ( dog house), with perches .

I thought I should keep them separate till they are full size ?? My rir tend to be a little rough, no rooster though
I have read some great articles reference introducing the young ones to the elders at a very young age! The idea is that they are not a real threat as new pullets or roos and they grow up and become part of the flock easier! I am looking for those articles and I will post the links here for you!

Back
Top Bottom