When can my ducklinhs go outside

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by maggieL, Apr 21, 2017.

1. maggieL

maggieL Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Tennessee
    I've got 4 baby ducklings about 2 weeks old right now. Our weather has been in the 80s and 60s at night. When would be okay for me to put my ducklings outside with my two older ducks?

2. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    They could certainly go outside during the day but it may be a while before they can go with your other ducks. Are your other two hens or drakes? My babies were 9 weeks before they were big enough and strong enough to withstand my original drake. He was mean and hurt one of them. My hen would have let them join much sooner but my drake was having none of it. Introductions need to be done very slowly with lots of supervision.

3. maggieL

maggieL Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Tennessee
    I have a hen and a drake, both are very sweet and loving. How could I maybe go about it, like just remove my drake and let them get acquainted thru the fence?

4. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I let mine meet at the fence for several days. Then one day I let my hen in with the young ones while I watched. She could have cared less. My drake would try to attach them through the fence, so I knew not to let him near them for a long time. They all mostly get along now.

If you put your little ones outside during the day, make sure they are protected from predators like hawks and have some shade.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Right now its breeding season...Drakes are running high on hormones...You might have to keep your Drake locked up..;).....Wait till the Ducklings are a lot bigger....

Good luck...

Cheers!

6. maggieL

maggieL Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Tennessee
    My hen and drake haven't reached full maturity as far as breeding goes I dontnthink, they both were born beginning of March, so does that help with me introducing my babies?

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You mean March 2017?....They are still Ducklings then....;).....You can introduce them once your little Ducklings are about 3 weeks old....Put them together for supervised visits...:).....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by