when can my ducks go out? theyd be in a stall?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tigerlillyrk, Mar 29, 2012.

1. tigerlillyrk

tigerlillyrk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    My two ducklings are getting to big for their container. I guess they are more like juveniles than babies. They arent feathered yet but they are starting to turn white and they are pretty big and they are very antsy and want to be out more. they are going to go into a 12x12 stall in a barn so they wont be out in the open. The highs are in the 90's will this be too hot? Also should i be worried about owls attacking them? Has anyone had this problem before?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You are right to be concerned. Ducks need protection from heat, cold, predators, and other dangers.

How old are the ducks? You say juvenile, but can you give us a range? A month? Two months?

How cold is it at night?

A stall would be okay at night if the barn is closed up tight so that no raccoons or other predators can get in.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Nothing wrong with a stall so long as the barn(or stall i know some are pretty caged/wired) is closed up otherwise depending on your predators you could come into a not so pleasant mess in the morning.

You could put a box w/some straw in the stall it would give them a cozy place.... as for the heat, make sure they have access to plenty of water.. and shade if they are in the sun.

4. tigerlillyrk

tigerlillyrk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    well the stall is pretty closed in but i didnt know how much heat the could handle. it gets in like the 60s at night but thats about it. I got them march 7th i believe so id say they are about a month old.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I like to put a thermometer in the shelter so I can be sure of the temperatures.

Something big enough for them to swim in will help . . . that means you need to manage for the splash. Sawdust pellets help me out quite a bit.

A nighttime enclosure within the stall, made of sturdy lumber and half inch hardware cloth would take much of the guesswork out of their safety. It would need to be big enough for their food and some water, too, with another 6 square feet for just the ducks. They are too young to do without food and water overnight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by