When can my fall chicks go out to the big coop? It's so cold!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by verycherry, Oct 29, 2008.

1. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    I have two separate batches of fall chicks getting close to ready to go out to the big coop, BUT we've had temps in the low 30's the last few nights, tonight will be 45, and expected to be the low 50's the rest of the week. It's about 60 or 70 yards from the house with no electricity.

I didn't take my Spring chicks out until they were 10 or 11 weeks old and it was over 70 at night, and of course they all did fine and loved it outside.

One batch is of 9 standard chicks, barred rocks, RIR's, a golden Lakenvelder, and a SLW, which have been fully feathered for a couple of weeks now, but I've lost my receipt so I'm not sure exactly how old they are. I think they're 7 or 8 wks.

My other group is only 4 wks old, but they're mostly cochin bantams and silkies, but I also have some Ameraucanas in there. Oh, and a bantam D'Uccle. I know I need to wait a while on these, but how long? It's just getting colder and colder.

I've got the temp at about 75 degrees now in the back bathroom, which is where they're at, in big rubbermaid tubs. The 4 week old batch still has a lightbulb, but I lowered it to a 40 watt last week. They need to get used to a little less heat, but they're all still surprisingly toasty hot when I pick them up due to all the body heat from 21 little bodies! I expected I might have a few losses so I got a few more than I needed, but all the little buggers are so alert and healthy!.....which I'm very pleased about, but my gosh, all the peeping and pooping, lol! When can they safely go out?

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

dont take my word for it,, cause i do things very wrong,, but i put my month olds outside a few days ago, their in a short coop, with 1 full size roo,, and temps got down to 38 the other night, and in the low 40's at night since ,, and i havent lost any of them, at 2 weeks old, i only put their light on during the night, then at 3 weeks no light at all,, then out they went.

3. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    You're braver than I am!

Are these standard size chicks? Maybe if I wait until tomorrow night so it will be in the low 50's, I can put the older group out.

I'm really concerned for the little bantams. By the time they get older it will be freezing.

Someone said the D'Uccles aren't all that cold hardy. Oh, and I forgot, I have a Sultan, also 4 wks old (plus a 5 month old Sultan in the coop), and I heard the same about them. Know anything about that?

4. the1much

the ones that went out last was new hamshire reds, 40 of em, in 2 weeks ill have RIR's and RIW's and BO's out.
    and i know NOTHING bout those little midget chickens,,hehe,,, but if it was me, i would wait on those longer then my regular birds.

5. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    I have 3 chicks about 4 weeks old and 10 that are 3 weeks old and they are all outside and have been for couple weeks now. I do keep a lamp on in the coop. It's been down in the upper twenties here a few nights.. they are all doing just fine.

6. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I would definitely put the older group out tomorrow when it's only supposed to get down to 50. i'd probably hold the younger group in another week or two unless you can give them a draft-free area with a bulb they can bask under. If you can run a bulb, I'd put them out as well. they don't have to stay 75 degrees at all times, they just need to be able to get back to where it's warm if they get a little chilly--if you had hens, they'd have their chicks out pecking around in 50 degree weather, and expect to be the chick warmer every five minutes.

7. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Thank you all! That helps a lot.

I'll probably get the flash light out at least once during the night and go down and check on things, lol!

I'm glad I didn't do it last night though. It was supposed to get to around 45 but it's only 37 right now, and it's 8:40! That would have been way to cold for the first night out.

8. zachslc

zachslc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    Does this mean I don't have to keep my chicks (now almost two weeks old) in the greenhouse until march?

9. the1much

Quote:wows,,, i wouldnt,, in fact i'd let them start "cooling" a little bit during each day in the aftanoon, just so its not such a shock from going to always heat to outside cold.

10. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I keep my babies in the house with a 60 watt light for the first 2 weeks in a small rubbermaid tote, then they go into a bigger size tote with the 60 watt light then to a 40 watt bulb for a week then I only use the light at night for about a week then no heat but inside for aso at roughly 6 weeks they another week. Then at 6 weeks or 7 they move to the garage .They might get a light again- but the are usually in a wire cage at that point.Then they go out to the big bad world.This Spring they spent days outside and nights in the garage. BUT the brooder area is about to move to the basement so the plan may change a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by