When can my frizzle go without a heat lamp at night? *pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by txchickie, Apr 30, 2009.

1. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I've got 6 week old chicks out in the coop and they do NOT need a heat light as it's staying quite warm here at night, not below 55 deg. and getting up to 90 during the day.
    However, I have a frizzle who I am scared to death will get too cold [​IMG] The poor thing doesn't have near enough feathers and what he does have sticks straight out and curls. They can't do anything to keep him warm, from what I figure.

When will he be able to go without a heat source at night? The others are totally feathered and are taking advantage of the warm light, too [​IMG] The way the coop is set up, I can't get in there and sort him off at night, and I don't really want to either (don't want to cause issues with him being picked on after being seperated).

ETA: Here's his pic I took this evening....
    [​IMG]

And here's a couple of his hatchmates, they are completley feathered and definently do not need a lamp! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. txchickie

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Bump [​IMG]

3. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    when its 75 degrees outside at night or whenever they are fully feathered, whatever comes first. They are SOO cute!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    By the time they are seven weeks old and assuming your coop is draft free they shouldn't need that light.
    It was about this time last year that I took my chicks heat lamp away for good. They were 5 1/2 weeks old. My roos weren't completely feathered out, but all did fine.

5. txchickie

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Okay, thanks. I just worry about the poor guy.

I recently found him huddled under the lamp shivering (and it was like 55 outside) while the others were up scratching and playing. I worry about my frizzy dude [​IMG] he is soooo gentle and mellow.

6. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    Aw, their adorable! Sorry, I dont have an answer for your question, but good luck with your cuties [​IMG]

7. nicandtroyintown

nicandtroyintown Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Your chicks are so cute! He should be fine w/o the light going into the summer and by the time fall approaches, he will have more feathers to protect him.[​IMG]
    Have fun!

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Sounds to me like he'll let you know when he doesn't need the extra heat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by