1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can our chick's go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by new chick mummy, Apr 9, 2012.

1. new chick mummy

new chick mummy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    North Yorkshire, England
    We are first time chick parents ;)
    Our chick's are mixed breeds and we're still not 100/ on their gender.
    They're 5 weeks old tomorrow ( 10 april ) and we were wondering when is good to transfer them into their coop.
    The coop has an attached run and the door will obviously be getting closed at night, we just don't know ow when to put them out.
    Help and advice will be most appreciated. :)
    Thanks in advance Edie

2. kengland

kengland Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    My 9 Delaware left the garage brooder last thurs night at 6 weeks old. I live in the NW. Temps drop to low to mid 40's at night with mid to high 50's in the day. Working out great.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. nicolets

nicolets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Monroe County, PA
    4-6 weeks!
    Hopefully you have been lowering their use of the brooder lamp inside, though. If not, you'll need to gradually do this and hopefully help them get used to going down and getting up with the sun.

4. new chick mummy

Mar 15, 2012
    North Yorkshire, England
    Well they are 5 weeks old today and are still indoors but now with no heat lamp.
    They seem to be doing OK with out it too.
    I think I will give it another week then before I put them out.
    I was thinking about putting them out during the day and maybe bringing them back in doors at night, I don't know how many of you have done it this way, if any.
    I just do the want it to be too much of a shock to them. :)
    Thanks again Edie

5. new chick mummy

Mar 15, 2012
    North Yorkshire, England
    That should have read,
    I don't want it to be too much of a shock to them. ;)

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's definitely a good idea to put them out during the day now, if you are able. You will be able to tell by their behavior whether they are comfortable or too chilly. To be safe, you could have something available for them to go into, like a cardboard box on its side, but I doubt they will need it for warmth at that age. (They might investigate, though.) You might even decide they're ready to stay out, at least in a day or two. I'd be sure they had a nice pile of litter in the coop to snuggle down into at night.

You can click on the pencil icon on the lower left and edit your own post, when you find a typo after you've posted.

7. new chick mummy

Mar 15, 2012
    North Yorkshire, England
    Thanks for the info, you learn something new everyday hey? ;)
    Thanks again

8. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'm in Texas and its been mild weather this spring. Mine went out when they were just about 3 weeks old. Like 18 days. They are now 4 weeks and a day and doing great. The earliest you can get them outside the better. These birds are meant to be born outside with the mother hen as their heat source, when they get cold they run for mama. I put a heat lamp in the coop so they could get warm, (imitation Hen). But that only lasted a week. They are living like big girls now.[​IMG]

9. Lance

Lance Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    We have had a mild spring, so my month olds have been in there coop for a week now and they only have a heat lamp on at night. they venture away from the coop further each day. Like Butch said, they are tougher than you think.

10. jrsno1fan

jrsno1fan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Same here, a very mild spring so my chicks went out at 5 weeks. We did keep the red heat light on for the first 2 weeks or so. Then changed to a white light only at night just to get them to go in the coop at night. Did that for 3 nights and now they are pretty well adjusted 10 week olds. No more lights, and they are all in the coop at dusk on their own.

Not sure about England though, I hear it can be pretty damp and chilly at night, if this is the case 5-6 weeks with a heat lamp if it's still below 50 or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by