when can pullets go from run into the paddock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by maggiegigs, Aug 16, 2010.

1. maggiegigs

maggiegigs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    want to know when my pullets can leave the run and enter the fenced paddock. they are 4.5 months.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If they've been in their current coop/run for quite some time, IMO they're old enough now. It'll probably be suggested that you wait until they're laying to be sure they know to lay in the nest boxes. My girls never had any issues heading back to the coop to lay, but some folks have had issues with their birds hiding nests/eggs out and about. You could start letting them out only in the evenings...maybe 5 or 6ish. That way they learn to head back to the coop as it darkens, and it's past prime egg laying time. Maybe do that for another month or so until they're all laying???? But at 4 1/2 months, I think their size is big enough for ranging without being a super easy target...

3. maggiegigs

maggiegigs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Thanks! I will take your advise. I am getting the pullets this week and it was suggested on leaving them in the closed coop for two days and then after the two days at 11am I could open the coop and let them into the run. I plan on doing that for two weeks. From there on I will do same except in the evening I will let them out around 5-6pm as you suggested until they are laying! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by