When can roosters..... you know

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WhiteCochinLover, Sep 19, 2011.

1. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    When can roosters mate?

2. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends on the breed, some are slower maturing than others (big breeds: Brahmas for instance, or Jerseys) but most standard sized breeds start showing interest and working on it by 4-5 months (also crowing a lot, doing little dances for the hens, etc., very cute). Some are precocious and get into it a little earlier...

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Actually slower maturing breeds still usually can mate around the same time production-bred breeds to, the hens just don't lay as early.

Most can start to mate by 21-32 weeks of age, but it does vary. Even production breeds, hatchery strains included, can mature slower than others.

4. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    He is maybe 4 months and he is a bantam cochin...

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    It also depends upon whether you have other roos around. If there is a dominant male, the young guns won't mate early (or at least not whilst alpha male is around!).

I currently have 25 week old Brahma boys who show no sign of mating as I have several other adult males. My 28 week old NN X Brahma mates with any and everything as he is such a fast runner, but he only ever crows when he is a very long distance from the 'king pins'.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:You have plenty of time left, I wouldn't incubate or collect egg's from him till spring if you want to use him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by