When can she go back with her sisters? Infectious Coryza ? (update)

kimb

Songster
13 Years
Nov 30, 2009
New Hampshire
Anyone have experiences with this / successful treatment?

Yesterday during my 2nd lice dusting of the flock - I found my little white silkie girl (16ish? weeks now) with her eyes "gunked" shut x( ... so I brought her in , used a warm damp cloth to loosen up the gook and she was able to open her eyes - I cleaned them out with saline (thought maybe she was just allergic/irritated by the fresh shavings - but shortly after I noticed she had bubble - I have her inside in the "hospital" and she had a goobery nose and is having a difficult time breathing & sneezing.

I believe she has coryza (I started her on tetracycline - and vitamins/electrolytes).

I see people have used tylan ? (I can't do injections - needles make me queezy) ... but what is the best injestable antibiotic?

And any other course of action.

I noticed one of my Cochin girls has bubble too - but has no other signs/symptoms (but from what I gather I should separate her too... jeeze louise - I'm running out of quarantine places x(

Anything I can do to help my little girl breathe better?

Last edited:
If she smells really awful, it may be Coryza. Sulmet is the suggested med for that. Just know that she will not recover fully if she actually has Coryza; she'll be a carrier. I really want folks to be aware of that in case they sell birds. I'm not saying that is really what it is, just that it is a carrier disease and antibiotics won't fix that.

She doesn't have an odor x( ... so maybe not coryza ?

This is just my own small flock
smile.png
... (that keeps getting smaller x( )

Yes, if she smells really really bad.... you can smell from far away normally, then it could be Coryza. Tylan comes in a powder, but I don't like it as much as the injections. Baytril is another good one but often used as a last resort and most times need a RX, but you can get it for parrots in a liquid.

If no smell and nasel discharge, bubbly eye , wheezing etc.. then possibly MG.... pm me and I can give some suggestions

If their are any black spots on her face and comb it could be Fowl Pox, again treat with Tylan and iodine on the scabs that would form.

If it is isolated to only her then it could also be pneumonia....., also Tylan etc..

Last edited:
Thanks everyone

Chickenzoo - PM sent...

There aren't any black spots - I don't think - but she doesn't have a comb, and she is white with a dark face so it'd be hard to see, but I don't see any spots.

She really is a heck of a time breathing x( ... any suggestions ? I am microwaving a cloth in a tupperware right now - I was going to close her cage up and let some steam get in - maybe clear her airways a little ... and help slow/stop her sneezing?

Thank you!
smile.png

! should I/Can I use a humidifier? -- or is that going to be too much water vapor x( ...

Gosh I hate having sick "children" ! x(

VetRx dabbed on the nostrils with a q-tip is similar to putting vapo-rub on a child... the fumes help them breathe. But it may be something you'd have to order, so not a quick fix right now.
sad.png
Hope they're better soon!

Back
Top Bottom