When can the babies have treats?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by J. Smitty, May 20, 2010.

1. J. Smitty

J. Smitty New Egg

Mar 13, 2010
    Hi All,

Well the chicks arrived yesterday, all healthy and fine so far. Thank you all so far for your good advice.

When are we able to feed the chicks things other then chick starter? Like yogurt, bugs, veggies ect.

Thank you.

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I gave mine treats at 2-3 weeks old. After they have grit or soil available. Soil~ like a chunk of sod gives them some natural grit. Limit those treats, you want them to fill up on their feed.

3. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Mareezocool. Giving treats is fun but the chick feed is more important. How about giving them a little crumbled egg yolk at about a week. Then at 2-3 weeks introduce the others. Have fun! [​IMG]

4. Manda0227

Manda0227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    After they know where, and what their food is.. I've been mixing warm water with their chick feed. Oh my goodness. They go NUTS for it! Its just their food, but warm and gooey! I actually found sometimes if I have chicks smaller than the rest it gets them going more, and they bully the bigger chicks out of the way! Its something different than their regular feed- but doesn't require grit! Hard boiled eggs always cause a ruckus too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by