When can the baby go out with the others?

my4ladies

Songster
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
I have one baby silkie all alone. I have 3 other chicks that are almost a month old outside in the coop along with another 7 week old silkie. I plan on keeping the baby silkie (2 days old) inside for about 3 weeks. By that time the temp will match what the average temp is outside.

Will the older chicks pick at the new addition at that age? Will I have to wait longer, or just try it and then watch their reactions?

Last edited:
Yes, they will pick on the smaller chick. I usually wait until the newbies are very close to the same size before I let them make contact. Until then, I will close them off in an area, where they can be seen by the flock, but not touched. That way they can get used to seeing eachother for a couple of weeks......then I let them free range together, then it's everybody in the coop together. There is usually a little bit of fighting.....establishing the pecking order....very normal.

Good luck to you!

Very good question - thanks for posting!

I am also wondering at what age can my 13 (8 week old chicks) be introduced to the original 6 bird flock (1 adult roo & 5 hens). And, how to do this with the least amount of stress on all the birds!

They've been free ranging together for a while now - able to meet but not be forced to connect. That has gone very well. The older roo shows hardly any interest, but the hens are ready to show "the children" whose in charge around here! No major fights or anything just pecking - to show "order" as I've read - that's normal.

I've built a bigger run & added roosting bars to the original coop & I'm wondering how to infiltrate these chicks - so they don't have to live like sardines cramped in their "brooding size coop" (it doesn't even have a window that can be opened) - they've been huddling near the door - just for fresh air (I think).

You and I posted the same question at the same time! My Barred Rocks are 7 weeks old (they are huge!!) and my almost 3 week old BCM's are still living inside. Surely I can't keep them inside until they are that big?!
ep.gif

I would be concerned about a chick being raised by itself with no interaction from other chicks:( When my batch of Mille Fleur/Sebright chicks were 2 weeks old, I had my husband cut out a side of the brooder and replace it with fine mesh. I then moved the brooder into the coop with my 2 month old Marans and Faverolles. All the chicks could see each other and interact through the mesh without any pecking issues. After 2 weeks, I got rid of the brooder and integrated both sets of chicks with minimal pecking issues. All the chicks were integrated with the adult flock when the oldest were about 3 months old. But once again, I had the coop separated by chicken wire so the adults and chicks could see each other and interract. Had no problems whatsoever once the chickenwire was removed. Good luck!

Quote:
Yes, I think I will do something like that when it's old enough to not need the heat lamp. Our days have been warm, but the high for today is only supposed to be 74. I, too, am concerned that she's all alone, however, she is still a chicken with chicken instincts. I'm hoping she'll be okay.

I think for now, I'll set up a little outdoor run and stay out with her for a little while on the warmer days. I'll put her right in the other chicks' favorite spot. After a few weeks I'll let her free range with them (with supervision of course). Then I'll experiment with locking her up with them
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom