when can the mom and her chicks go back with the flock?

mom wewantchicks!

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
buckhannon,wv
next week our chicks will be 4 weeks old,momma is still doing a good job and ive been letting them out into the yard for a little freeranging. my ? is when should i let them go back into the big coop. i know right now they are under the protection of the mom, and im thinking that would be good to get them in with her to watch over them. but she has also been away from the main flock for what, about 2 months now. we didnt plan on having so many broodies (we have 4 more!) and i will be needing her nursery coop soon! i also have 2 broodie right in the main coop, a large tote with a screen covering it, im hoping that with these 2 in the coop there will be no reintroduction needed! how do you think that will go?

So here is what I do. In the morning, after everyone else is out of the coop, I lock mom and chicks in the coop for the day. At dusk I let everyone else back in, mom is usually in a corner with chicks under her. Next morning I grab mom and chicks, let everyone else out again keeping mom and chicks locked in the coop for a second day. By the afternoon of the third day I open the coop to let mom and chicks explore outside. Don't be suprised if you have to go out at dusk and help mom and chicks get back in the coop.

If Mama is still protective, I think now is a good time to put them back with the flock. You are right. A good Mama will take care of the integration issues for her chicks. They will still have to manage the pecking order issues as they mature, but the pecking order issues are usually less severe than the integration issues. That's why I like to let a hen raise her chicks with the flock from the day she takes them off the nest. It is always possible you will get a wimpy broody, but usually a broody has such a bad attitude that the rest of the hens quickly learn to leave her and her chicks alone.

of course i think of this after i make them a bigger better set up of thier own! in my main coop, where they will be going i only have 1 frizzle roo, 1 silkie hen,1 frizzle hen,and 3 ee. the frizzles and silkie where her previous coop mates and the ee are such big babies im pretty sure it will be alright! i also have 2 other silkies on eggs in the coop,seprate so noone lays anymore eggs with them,but hopefully this time around i wont have this problem!

Back
Top Bottom