When can these ducks go outside?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Buster, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I have three ducks that are just starting to get their feathers but still have a lot of down. They are getting really big! At what point can they be kicked outside?

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Are they the same as chickens and need to wait until they are fully feathered? Can anyone answer?

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I think ducks can handle colder temperatures better than chickens, so you can probably put them outside with a light in case they get too cold.

4. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    It depends how cold it is. Mine have always been fine outside after the first few weeks. They have really heavy down and don't need the heat as much as chicks. If you aren't getting real cold at night they should be able to go out at about 3 weeks [​IMG]

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I think that the temps at night here have been down in the 40's. I don't know how cold that is compared to everyone else's cold, but it's actually pretty warm for a night time temp here. These ducklings are about 6 or 7 weeks old.

6. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I had my 7 week old chickens outside and the temp dipped down to 25 two nights in a row and they were fine. They had a light for heat.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've always kicked my ducks out sooner than chicks. They don't need as much heat or heat for as long as chicks do. If you put them out with a light I'm sure they'll be fine. Ducks are much hardier than chickens.....even my call ducks which in the duck world are probably the least hardy duck.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Ok I guess that means I better get to work and get a shelter built for these guys. Thanks for the info. Their days of living in my garage are numbered.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I guess I didn't answer your feathering question......I've never waited till they were fully feathered.

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

A related question:

Do they need a full fledged coop? What kind of shelter will suffice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by