when can these peepers go outside??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wjallen05, Jan 25, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I have 24 adorable but annoying little peepers who were born on 1-7. I changed their light to a 60 watt and they are doing fine with that, not even sure if they need it anymore. My second order of chicks is shipping on the 28th of this month, so I'd like to get them outside as soon as possible. When do yall think they will be old enough to be outside? I have a great place to keep them, and can keep a light on them (100 watt?). It's usually 50s during the day and 30s at night but sometimes gets below 20 at night.
    TIA!

2. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'd say in about 3 weeks. They should be fully feathered with plenty of insulating downy feathers. You'll want to "harden" them off by having them spend several hours in the colder temps before they're out for good. [​IMG]

3. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    3 weeks from now or when they are 3 weeks old?

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I would say at 5 weeks if you can keep them warm and preditor safe.

5. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    With a red heat lamp you could put them in a pen of thier own out in the coop right now. Just make sure the lamp is low enough for them to get good heat under it at night. (about 18" from the bedding. I put mine out as day olds in April/May here and they do well, even on 0C nights. I have never kept them in the house, and I have never lost any to illness or cold either:>).

6. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, great news. I've got 18 peeps a week older than OPs and we are all ready for them to be outside (chicks are ready too.) Now to finish the coop ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by