When can they be introduced?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Studio2770, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    We have 5 leghorn pullets that are around 18 weeks old, no laying yet. We also have 2, 6 week old cochins and 1, 5 week old EE. One of the cochins may be a rooster. I'll try to make a "See no touch" set up. They interacted briefly in the yard and it seemed peaceful. I would really like to try sneaking them in at dusk when they have gotten a little bigger. Can anyone tell me if they had luck with that method?

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I had two flocks that shared a common fence between runs for a few weeks when they were fully feathered. They could interact as much as they could through the fence. After a while, I opened the door between the runs.

There was some settling of the pecking order the first few days. Things went on normally thereafter.

Where do the pullets live now, if not in the coop? Do you have separate coops?

I had separate coops when I mixed mine. After a few weeks, the new chickens moved into the old coop with the rest of the flock. No one used the new coop after that. I closed the door, and use it for storage now.

Chris

3. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    We have one coop for our leghorns. They also have a run and free range almost daily, the dogs gotta do their business. The 3 chicks are in an aquarium, we managed to house the 6 leghorns in that same aquarium before the coop was built, we had a cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by