when can they go in my big pond?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by juliachick, May 2, 2009.

1. juliachick

juliachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    (Northeastern PA)
    I am wondering at what age I can allow my ducklings to go to the biggish pond in our backyard? I plan to put a little coop (is that what you call duck homes?) next to the pond for them. Does anyone allow their ducks to do this. I am thinking it may be hard to get them out of the pond? ANy advice?

Jen

2. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    They won't stay in water ALLday, but they sure do like it. I just have a pool in the backyard AND a huge water puddle after all our rain (KS). But, I can always get them out of anyplace if I offer a handful of greens or worms. Good luck!

3. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

I probably wouldn't let them into a pond I couldn't easily rescue them from until they were well feathered out. If they become waterlogged they could have a problem. Also does the pond have any large fish or snapping turtles in it? Either of those will eat little duckies.

4. juliachick

juliachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    (Northeastern PA)
    Good to know about the worms:) I guess I will wait till they are about grown to put them in the big pond. I'll go get a baby pool until then. I don't want to take a chance on one having trouble because I am sure as heck not going in any water I can't see the bottom of:D

5. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] I have to agree with that sentiment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by