When can they go live in the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FriesianGroupie#1, Jun 24, 2010.

1. FriesianGroupie#1

FriesianGroupie#1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Bethune
    Hey guys!!!

Uber Newbie here! When is it safe for me to put my baby chicks outside to live? is 6 weeks old too young?? we are almost done making the coop and really want to get the chicks out of my living room! stinky!! LOL

thanks
    Shereena

2. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Mine are just over two weeks old and most of them have been out for in the coop for 3 days. As long as it is warm enough, they can't escape, nothing can get in , and they can find food and water they should be fine.

3. FriesianGroupie#1

FriesianGroupie#1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Bethune
    Wow really they can go out that early?!! I wish I'd have known that before!!! I was told that they had to be 10 weeks but i cant take them in my house anymore!! Thanks, now i dont feel so bad for 'kicking' them outside!

Shereena

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It's VERY dependant upon the season; you wouldn't want to put them out in fall or winter until they were fully feathered. Of course, if your brooder were an integral part of the coop, all set up with supplemental heat and all, you could STILL put them out there early.

5. 4theloveofhens

4theloveofhens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    I just put my 4 week old girls out a couple days ago. We've already had fox and raccoon visitors so make sure even if your coop isn't to your perfection, that it is absolutely predator proof! They are in what we are calling their "halfway house" since it's not their coop yet (waiting until we move) but we DESPERATLY needed them out of the bathroom. We were stepping in shavings all the time and it drove us nuts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by