when can they go out

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Dec 3, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    my ducks are a month old today and have about 60% of their feathers and i wanted to put them out but my mum said dont because its too cold... it is really cold though i put a glass of water in the run last night to see if it would freeze and it did so even if they could withstand the temp they wouldnt be able to get water because it would freeze? or would it if they were drinking it every so often???

2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    well they need to go out when fully feathered to keep a bit more warm same with chicks and if the water is freezing maybe consider getting a heated waterer. if the water is freezing it is to cold for them

3. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:but it doesnt get warm here for another few months and i have to put up with them in my bedroom for much longer i will start to self harm lol

4. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    just wait til they get their feathers. Then they can handle the cold. Look at it this way...You only have 2! I have 8! Ive got them in for another 2 1/2 weeks and then I have to take them on a 12 hour drive to colorado. Trust me...it could be worse.

5. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:I hope they don't have a dastardly plot brewing for that drive in revenge for putting socks on them. I still chuckle at those pics!

6. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] OH! Im sure of it. They have been plotting in there for the last week! They keep whispering in eachothers ears and they look at me with their head cocked to the side...when i come into the room in the morning it is so quiet you just know they are plotting against me. but then the second they hear me...chatter chatter chatter as if they werent talking...I can just see it now...Ready...aim...FIRE! Bulleye in the back of her head! Next rest stop 50 miles... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    i put them out this morning, gonna give them another few hours outside then bring them in

[​IMG]

i put straw under them after i took this pic so they are nice and cosy [​IMG]

9. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I commented on your other thread as well. As everyone else including your mother has said, it is too cold to put those birds outside in freezing weather. If that picture was taken yesterday, they are definitely not almost completely feathered. They are barely started. I would really wait a few more weeks at a minimum.

10. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I know people say to wait til their ducks are fully feathered before putting them out but I put mine out in a small pen at about 2 weeks. Most recently the weather was about mid 50s during the day and the 30s and 40s at night. They are doing very well. So far I've put anywhere from 3 to 8 ducks out when they are put out and they keep each other warm at night I suppose. Although durng the day they like to stand out in the open. I think people baby them a little too much. They're very hard animals. Even though I do put them out around 2 weeks, I make sure they don't get wet and have a nice enclosed area with straw to sleep in. I currently have some 7 week olds running around outside. They have a bit more feathering to go but they are doing great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by