When can they go outside?

bel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 15, 2010
East bay
The coturnix are huge and outgrowing the brooder, when should they move outside. (I admit I do love the crowing boys, but they need more room)
I'm building a hutch its 75% done It has a solid back, will have a roof, and an enclosed room to get out of any wind.
We don't get snow here but it can get cool at night in the 40s. I could add a light to the hutch.

Would the christmas lights in red part be good enough? (just thinking they are outdoor grade and should take the chill off, when I lived in frost areas we used the small ones to protect plants) otherwise I could probably wire it up with an outdoor fixture and night bulb.
Thanks,
bel

The hutch sounds like a nice one
smile.png
If you feel like they are ready to go outside, then they are ready, especially if they are outgrowing the brooder. How old are they by the way. WIth the lighting, if you provide a heat lamp, a white bulb should suffice, the birds should be ok outdoors with the cold. They are pretty harder. Wait, we are talking coturnix, right ?
smile.png
Just making sure.

Edited to add: You did mention Coturnix
smile.png
My brain must be not functional today
smile.png

Christmas lights wouldn't help with heat if that is what you are looking for?

Last edited:
Thanks, They are 4 weeks old today.

Will the white bulb keep them up at night? I do have a spare dark night bulb laying around as a back up for brooders, but we have 2 extra red lights now so its not going to get used.
What temp/ age do they not need a light anymore? sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:
If you start with 100 degrees or 95 degrees the first week, and decrease each week 5 degrees....by 4 weeks, the birds should be ok to the 75-80s...completely comfortable to the outdoors 8 weeks about.

Not all people agree to the 5 degree each week thing, that is just what I use. Of course, in the summer here in FL, I hardly use heat lamps as it can get really hot in the brooder room.

If the red bulb is all you have, you can try it. The red bulbs do emit more heat...but they have been known to increase feather pecking, cannibalism, etc in small groups. THat's why I mentioned the white bulbs.

At night, the birds usually go to bed. I don't hear any activity in the breeder room even when the lights are on, the boys will crow if they see me, but the birds are quiet if no action/sounds are going on.

4 weeks old, they should be fully feathered and don't need a light. I have a light on in the area for mine until around 9 but that is because the breeders need the light to keep laying and breeding. The 4-5 weekers in the growout pen don't need the light at all but appreciate it.

Quote:
4WK OLDS TAKEN FROM A TOASTY WARM ENVIRONMENT AND THRUST INTO 40 DEGREE TEMPS AT NIGHT WILL HUDDLE AND DARN QUICK TOO... QUAIL + HUDDLING= DEAD QUAIL. USE THE LIGHT AT NIGHT IF ITS COOL AND THEY LOOK UNCOMFORTABLE, LET THEM TOUGH IT OUT DURING THE DAY AND THEY WILL ACCLIMATE QUICKLY

Back
Top Bottom