when can u feel the beard on narragansett turkeys

honda150

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
maine
ok i have posted about my narragansetts b4 with sexing.i know i have 2 toms and a hen they are 11 wks old.2 of em have attemped to gobble a few times but will not do it on command.when will i b able to feel for a beard?they used to display alot but havent done it in awhile the temps up here have been very low like in the mid 30s to mid 40s i dont know if that has any effect on them displaying or not.

Last edited:
thanx loggerdoger,so i did notice with the toms at 12 wks that their snoods arent as long as others of the same age on here, i have noticed that they are more feathered than others of the same age on here.Would the colder temps cause them to mature faster in feathering and less with facial features?just like i had mentioned with the displaying would the onset of winter cause them not to diplay as much.At 12 wks the toms legs are taller than my bronze breasted hen where my narri hen is nowhere as tall so now there is a noticable size diif with the narri hen and narri toms.

well one tom i think has a beard starting it feels like a bump down along the breast area no hairs yet though.

I don't remember the age that I felt that little bristly beard under there feathers but it took me a few minutes to figure out what is was and was so proud that my little Toms were growing up.
I do remember the first time I heard them try to Gobble I and my Daughter was so excited when it happened.
Now every time the Toms see anyone there is a Gobble fest LOL.

Back
Top Bottom