When can we give away chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by prema, Nov 1, 2011.

1. prema

prema New Egg

Nov 1, 2011
    Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and raising chickens, and have appreciated all the advice here this summer.

We successfully had a brood of six chicks in August, and a broody hen hatched and cared for them. They're all fully feathered now (about 10 weeks), but we don't know which ones will be roosters/hens yet.

My mother-in-law and some friends are interested in getting some chicks from us - but we don't know when to separate them from the mama hen, and also how to tell which ones are hens!
    They're still peeping rather than making adult chicken sounds. We keep them in an extra large dog crate (used to be our Shepherd's so it's roomy) with the mama hen. And the crate has just moved to the coop, so other chickens are aware they're there and can see them but can't peck them.

Would it be fine to give away chicks at this stage, or should we keep them together till 16 weeks (when apparently it's good time to integrate them with the flock)?
    I tried to integrate the mama hen a week ago, and she kept getting into hen fights so we brought her back to stay with her chicks.

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] to the BYC

I will say what everyone is going to say, without pictures there is no way to help. Post individual pictures to look at.

Dont just give away, pick your favorites and the ones you enjoy most and sell the rest on Craig's List or local 4H or school science class

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Gosh, you can give 'em away at any time, depending how much care the recipients want to take with 'em! It's wonderful you have kept them with mama this long so she could teach them Chicken Things.

As for sexing them, well, I am no help there.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Hi! and [​IMG]

As has been said, you can give them away at any time. It's more about what your mother-in-law and friends are set up for.

You probably can't post pictures for us to help with gender yet as you have to have a few other posts at the start. You can also look around, welcome other folks, find your home state on the "Where am I, where are you" thread, etc. Then when you can post pictures, you can come back to this thread and we'll see if we can help.

Good luck! [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    cockerel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pullet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Your chicks are ready to sell/give away at any time if adequate housing is available at the new place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by