When can we put our chicks in the coop with the big hens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SilkieHenHoney, Sep 4, 2014.

1. SilkieHenHoney

SilkieHenHoney Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    Our chicks are about 2 months old. They have been running free range with the big hens for a while now. Are they ready to go in with the big hens? One of them is silkie and the others are standard size brahma chicks.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

8 weeks old is young to be put in with mature birds, though it helps that they've been out free ranging with them. The older birds may still be very territorial about their coop. I guess all you can do is try it and see, just be on hand in case things get nasty. I would be most concerned for the silkie. I usually integrate at 12 weeks old.

3. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    2 months old has worked for me for the past 2 batches of 30 chicks I've gotten. They had been moved from the brooder into the grow-out pen so had interacted with the flock that way, through the fence. At about 6 weeks I opened the door to the grow-out pen so that they could be out and about with the flock pasturing. By 8 weeks they had stopped going to bed in the grow-out pen and joined the flock in the big girl coop on their own.

4. kiweed

kiweed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Murfreesboro TN
    I put 4 week olds out with the big dogs. There had been little pecking. The little ones even get up on the roost. I think the big dogs don't see them as a threat because they are so small

5. SilkieHenHoney

Jun 19, 2014
    Thanks for the advice.

6. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    I wait until 12 weeks but before merging, I have them in separate coops next to each other for 2 months. That way they're at least used to each other! Good luck!

7. SilkieHenHoney

Jun 19, 2014
    Thanks.

8. trudyg

trudyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    I had mine in a separate grow-out coop but free ranged during the day. They would visit in the adult coop daily, then one night just stayed there at bedtime. (all except one, who stayed alone that night because the hen wouldn't let him up on the roost, so he went to his regular spot. Next night, he got up to the roost early and was fine).

9. If they a fine free ranging i think they should be fine . Just watch them in the pin just incase they start picking on them . The little chick will just have to ajust . Good luck ,and have fun .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by