1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can we start eating our ducks eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kstes347, Feb 9, 2012.

1. kstes347

kstes347 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Grass Valley, CA
    So, as I mentioned in a few posts ago, our oldest lady duck just started laying eggs!

I'm wondering when we can start eating them? It weirds me out a little to think about picking it up out of the coop and cracking it open into the frying pan, any tips on how to clean them & store them for healthiest results?

And should we wait until she has laid for a couple of weeks, or does it not really matter?

Thanks for any help, it's kind of hard finding concrete info about this stuff!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You can eat the very first egg.

I stored my ducks' eggs on the kitchen counter, just like the chicken eggs from my flock. I do wipe the duck eggs off if they're muddy, with a dry dish towel. If I found an egg in the kiddie pool, I discarded it.

LOVE duck eggs! The flavor is more rich than chicken eggs. And boy, howdy, do they make great baked desserts!

3. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    This recipe for flourless chocolate cake SPARKLED thanks to my duck eggs: http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/flourless-chocolate-cake-3/

My duck eggs manage to get messy a lot so I scrub them off in warm water with a splash of white vinegar, then I store them in the fridge to be sold or given away.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That looks yummy, did you use 6 ducks eggs in the rescipe? asking because they are so much larger thanb duck eggs.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yeah as said right from the get-go.. but your right at first i to felt a touch odd.. i have gotten over that lol mind you .. i now have 3 cartons of eggs in my fridge [​IMG] My girls clearly don't get that i don't need quite that many eggs...

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i usually wait till after they lay them to start eating them. if you eat to early they taste like chicken ; /

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    This time of year, I wash the mud off under running water. Then they go into the fridge.

If the ducks have been tidy and laid the eggs in their proper nest of shavings, they just go into the fridge.

I do wash the outside of the shell just before I crack the eggs. I just use clean water.

Your fresh laid eggs are much healthier than the eggs you buy in the store.

Later in the year, when I get a lot of eggs, the cartons will be dated, so that I can use the oldest eggs first.

8. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Plus it turns out badly for the duck.

You're BAD!! LMBO.

9. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I'm a little irked by the thought of eating a duck egg altogether. So I get your irky-ness. :)

Welcome to BYC!

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by