When can we tell the Gender or Blue Laced Red & Silver Laced Wyandotte?

GermanGirl82

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Nassau County, close to Jacksonville, FL
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone.
Hubby bought our 9 Blue Laced Red and 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte as straight run and they will be 4 weeks old tomorrow.

When will we be able to tell the gender of our Chick Crew??? Keep in mind, we never had chickens before... lol So I'm pretty sure I will be posting 11 pictures on here :) to get every ones input from this wonderful forum!!

We caught one yesterday morning already starting to crow, or so we believe that is what he did. :)

Thank you so much for your help.

WalkingOnSunshine

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Ohio
Okay I will try to get this done over the next few days, so I have another pair of hands here to help me out!! :)
What part of the Chicks do you need to see??
If you look at the top of the thread list for this forum, you'll see a brownish box with "sticky" threads. One of them contains the photo guidelines for this section.

I've had very good luck photographing birds by holding them by the legs out at arms length while I snap the photo with my other hand. That might work for you as well.

However... chicks usually aren't sexable until they have at least most (and often all) of their adult feathers. So if your still only have chick fuzz, I'd wait until they were 6-8 weeks old before posting any pics for sexing.

Welcome to BYC!

GermanGirl82

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
My Coop
My Coop
Thank you so much!!
I will take some pics tomorrow, then they are 4 weeks old :) As you can see in my profile pic, they are getting their feathers in really nicely, this morning I saw they are even coming in on their heads!! I'm in love with the different colors and how soft they are, our SLW are a bit behind though.

GermanGirl82

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
My Coop
My Coop
Wow it is much harder to take pics of them now, then I thought and I'm not very patient today doing this by myself :) But I gave it a try with 2 out of my 11 chickens. I will keep on trying though & post the pics as I get them, they are around 4 weeks old now, I hope these pics are good enough. Thanks everyone for helping us out.

1.) Pink Tag - "Little Wing"

2.) Black/White Tag - we think we caught him trying to crow 2 mornings ago.

Top Bottom