When can you band waterfowl?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ticks, Aug 3, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    When do their legs stop growing so I can put bands on their legs.

2. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    I don't know the answer to that one either ticks, [​IMG]
    we put a rubberband, (not tight) on 1 young male that Noah had decided to keep. So we knew who was staying home before we went to the Jr. Livestock show but other than that I have never put bands on their legs yet. Good question..

3. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I have been banding my ducklings at 8 weeks of age. I leave the band loose to give them room to grow into them. I still keep an eye on them though to see that the band doesn't get too tight. If it looks like it will I cut it off and replace it with a new one.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I haven't banded ducks, but I have banded young chickens that are still growing.

What I do, is band, but band as loose as I can without it falling off and then just keep and eye on it. If they get too tight, I just cut them off and repeat the process.

I use zipties on my chickens, so band adjustment is extremely easy. Just remember, if you use zipties, to cut the excess flush with the locking mechanism. That way, when the birds peck or bite at it, they do not accidentally tighten it further.

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by