When can you eat the egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by funonahonda, Aug 23, 2008.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    After the chicken lays the egg how long after can you eat the egg?? Also how long does the eggs stay good when they are in the fridge?? Thanks

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You can eat it right away. They can last for weeks in the fridge.

3. ChooksinIowa

ChooksinIowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Van Meter, Iowa
    I go out and get one in the morning and eat it right away. They are great when fresh!

If you have had the eggs in the fridge for a few weeks and you are not sure if they are fresh, here is an easy test.

Fill a measuring cup full of water (deeper than the egg). Put the egg in the water and watch what happens.

1) Egg sinks to the bottom = fresh egg
    2) Egg goes to the bottom but one end is standing up = slightly older egg but still perfectly OK to eat
    3) Egg floats = bad egg, throw it away, don't eat it.

Usually they will last 4 to 6 weeks in the fridge.

4. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    We tried the float test and we didn't have any bad eggs but, our question is what makes the egg float if it is bad or what makes it sink if it is good and how do you know this stuff?? Also thanks alot for the come back.

5. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Just be sure that if you float the eggs in water, you use them pretty quickly. Washing off the "bloom" that the hen puts on them keeps them from staying fresh as long as if they hadn't been washed. If you are concerned about whether eggs are fresh or not, don't float them until you are about to use them.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Theoretically eggs are sterile inside. Thus they "last" indefinantly. However, a partially dessicated egg doesn't quite cook up right.

A floating egg has just dried out.... or if it floats and is bubbly... it probably had a microcrack and bacteria is growing inside.

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I always give the eggs I think may be old to my kids, they have better immune systems, and I dont want to get sick, why waste an egg just because its a little old?

8. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] OMG....I always give the best of everything to my kids. I will taste something I don't fully trust before giving it to my kids.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  9. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Around our house, we eat the eggs before they ever have a chance to get old...LOL! My hubby will eat a 6-7 egg omelete easily! He's a growing boy! [​IMG]

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The eggs found in stores can be months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by