1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can you float test your silkies chickens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by faith87, Sep 19, 2016.

1. faith87

faith87 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    So I recently did they floating test on some of my silkies eggs and was wondering how soon are u supposed to do it? How many times can you?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I could be wrong but I thought float testing was just for at the end of incubation when some hatch and some didn't to see if there's still movement.
    Getting eggs wet before that can contribute to bacterial infection.
    You probably want to candle instead of float testing.
    That's usually done at 7 days and at lockdown but some do it much more often.

1 person likes this.
  3. faith87

Sep 5, 2016
    Well I tried it at 7days and that one egg I tried stop growing. I'm on day 16 and still has not moved nor grown like the rest of them....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    xs 2 float testing is most generally used after an incubated egg has surpassed it's "due date". The egg floats due to the air cell. Early on the air cell may not be big enough to cause it to float. Also the float test is only accurate in that if the egg floats AND wiggles independently of the water motion. A young embryo is not going to make an egg wiggle.

I don't even recommend float testing at full term. It can be very misleading.

Days 7/14/18 is best for normal candling, especially if you are monitoring for air cell growth as well as development.

It sounds as though that egg maybe a quitter if it has not continued developing.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Eggs quit for many reasons, incubation issues including turning, breeder nutrition, inbreeding, disease, contamination, excess storage time, among others.

6. faith87

Sep 5, 2016
    Thank you for the helpful information

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by