When can you introduce younger pullets to older pullets?

archmichelle

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Portland, OR
I just got my second round of chicks this weekend. My first group of 3 turned out 2 out of 3 roos. I was able to find a good home for one, and I'm holding onto the second until my second group is big enough to move in with my one (hopefully) pullet left. Which brings me to my question.

My remaining pullet is a 13 week old Delaware. She is pretty docile, but still warming up to me (she runs into the hen house whenever I come into the run.) The roo she is living with is a pretty vocal 12 week old BO. He isn't mean, but definitely dominant and mischievous. I would love to keep him because he has an amazing personality (a total clown) but sadly, I think he maybe too vocal since I live in a suburban area. If anyone can think of a way to keep him though, I would love to hear suggestions on how to. If I end up having to rehome him, I need to move my new babies out as soon as possible. They are a 2-1/2 week old GL Wyandotte, a RIR and a Barred Plymouth Rock. The GLW is pretty big, probably 2-1/2 times the size of the other two. She actually attempted to fly out of the brooder this morning. She is pretty covered in feathers too. Would it be possible to move her out sooner than the smaller two? If I could get her out at about 6 weeks that would mean I'd only have to wait out the crowing another 3 1/2 weeks. Hopefully I won't have a neighbor complain by then
smile.png

Last edited:
I just put some 4 week old chicks in with some 12 week old chicks. It took a few days,but they seem to have worked out any kinks.

Evening night or middle of the night like when they are sleeping? Do I wake them up, or just let them sleep until morning and then wala, who are these guys? Oh we've been here the whole time
wink.png

Could that be scary for both parties, if the bigger chicks wake up in the morning and jump down from their roosts only to land on a bunch of new chicks? Although in my case I guess it would be just one chick. Still though, scary for her possibly? I suppose I could put her in the nesting box so she feels secure that first night.

I'd introduce them all at the same time; this way the dominant bird is distracted by more 'invaders'.
smile.png
If you put the younger chicks in, give them little places to hide in the coop/run if they are picked upon. The rooster may peck them, along with the female. I'd wait until they are all feathered out and quick witted enough to escape.

Carla

DT Chickens,
That does make sense. My only concern would be a squabble breaking out for some reason while it's pitch black out and not being able to see anything to be able to do anything about it. :eek:That is probably just the worrier in me though. I think I will wait to introduce all three at the same time like Carla suggested, and do it on a Friday night so I will be home Saturday morning just in case I need to deal with any shenanigans. Thanks for all the great advice.

Quote:
most introduce when their sleeping. Heard that when they wake up together. they dont really bother each other.

Don't believe that myth, I put and 8 week old in with my 10-12 weeks olds at night and the next day they ran her ragged. We had to remove her,she is now almost 11 weeks and she is going back into the coop Sat. She is alot bigger now and hopefully will be able to defend herself.

I put my 8 week olds in the big coop with the 10 month old big girls.

I started for a few days letting them free range together - no problems.

I finally just scooted them into the coop at night fall when the big girls get put in. The babies didn't know WHERE to sleep - so we moved in the brooder and they slept in there the first night. Second day I let them out with the big girls again, cut a hole in the brooder so they could come and go - I put up a small piece of fencing inside the run - so they have a safe place to run and hide if needed - I put water in there for them as well. Made holes in the fence just big enough for them (and my bantams can get in as well)

They've been in with the big girls now for 10 days, and all is well - we started moving them up to the roost each night, last night was the first time I saw them get on up there themselves.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Wow, this is starting to sound complicated. I have three dogs and two rabbits and none of them were so complicated to introduce to each other.

My henhouse is attached directly to an enclosed coop and then the area in my yard where it is located is fenced off to create a free range run. I typically leave them in the coop during the day when no one is home for security sake, and let them out in the run when we are there. There is plenty of tree cover, so no worries about hawks, but we do have a few neighbor's cats that like to hang out and watch them through the fence, or even on top of the fence. I didn't let my first three out of the coop even until I was sure they were big enough that those cats wouldn't bother them.

I'm sure I could rig some way to allow the coop door to open just enough to allow the smaller pullets to be able to get in for cover when everyone is let out in the run. I'm going to have to think about what to do for during the week when everyone is locked in the coop together though. My brooder is just a large Rubbermaid box with no lid. Maybe I could cut a small hole in it and flip it upside down in the coop so the babies could run it if they need to. A chicken head could still fit through a hole like that though. Couldn't the bigger chickens stick their head in and use their body to flip the box over, or just lift it enough that they could get in too? I guess I could weight it with bricks on top or something...

Back
Top Bottom