When can you sell the eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scrambledmess, Jul 27, 2010.

1. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Songster

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I apologize ahead of time if this is the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where to put this question.

My girls only just started laying. Their eggs are still pretty small. I have 6 laying now out of 27 pullets. We have been getting 4 eggs a day, but today we got 6. Yay!!!

Anyway, we are going to be over run with eggs soon. For a family of 7, we do eat a lot of eggs... but umm.. yeah, not that many.

Anyway, I want to sell our left overs once we have too many. But I really don't think people are going to want to pay for small eggs. When do/did you start selling yours?

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I started giving away the little eggs when we got over run, that way you get them hooked early and make them what to buy them later [​IMG] . Just remember to tell them they will have to buy them later.

3. sandiatonimarie

sandiatonimarie Songster

Nov 30, 2009
    I started giving away the little eggs when we got over run, that way you get them hooked early and make them what to buy them later . Just remember to tell them they will have to buy them later.

Sneaky! I like it!​

4. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yup with 24 pullets you're about to be buried in eggs. Pullet eggs are cute but not salable, eat all those you can--they'll keep--and as the sizes increase sell the bigger ones and keep the small. You'll find customers lined up for them.

5. briteday

briteday Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    We get into the same situation most summers. But since we have been selling our eggs for a few years there is always a waiting list for new egg customers. When I have excess pullet eggs I contact them, offering 18 pullet eggs for the price of a dozen regular eggs. Or if I really want them as a customer I might offer them 6 free eggs to try. If you really get buried your local food bank/shelter/soup kitchen would be thrilled to have them I'm sure.

6. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Songster

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Thanks for the tips. I think I am about to start giving away eggs since I am just starting on this venture. I like the idea of the selling 18 for the price of a dozen. But that may have to wait until I have a costumer base.

Our senior center also gives out food. I think donations there would be good as well.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  7. Keara

Keara Songster

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    I always give one dozen away to each person I think might be interested in buying, than I tell them if the want more it's $2.50 a dozen, (only $2 if they bring me a used carton). They almost always get hooked. The only person who didn't get hooked had a hard time with the green egg thing (from my EE's).

8. tobin123

tobin123 Songster

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    We do the farmers market and show people the smaller ones .they don't care they buy them up

9. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chirping

Jun 15, 2010
    I too have had people asking me almost daily when my chickens will be in regular production. I have sold a few 18 cts but with only 6 hens laying now I can only swing 1-2 of those per week if you take into account what we use at home. We don't eat tons of eggs but I use them when I bake bread and in general cooking. I like the idea of the disounted small eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by