When can you sex muscovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iamcuriositycat, Dec 7, 2010.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I was offered a muscovy pullet (fully feathered) a couple nights ago and now wish I had accepted. I'd love to have one to hatch eggs in the Spring, and a pullet I could just throw in with the rest of my ducks--she'd be no extra trouble. However, it's a long drive back to where she is, so now I'm thinking along other avenues. For instance, there are muscovies naturalized on our community pond (shhhh). One hen in particular always hatches several batches of babies every summer, only a few of which reach maturity. I would love to "kidnap" a baby or two and keep them for my flock, but I'm wondering how long I have to wait if I want to be sure of getting girls only.

Thanks!

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I have a 11 week old one at the moment and I have no clue on the sex. You could probably compare the size of the feet and take a gamble but you'd probably be better buying one from a breeder or hatch some shipped eggs and sell the surplus males.
    In the summer I had the same thought when a beautiful Muscovy was with her babies at a local park but I'm not sure the mother would have been very happy if I had [​IMG]

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I say scoop them all up and then rehome the unwanted ones later on! I can tell, with my own ducklings, at around 2wks old. the boys are bigger and so are the feet but I am also familiar with my ducks & that helps a lot.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Bleenie, I may do that. If I could catch the mama, I'd keep her & rehome the babies when fully grown. Maybe that will even be the easiest thing--lure her with food gradually up into one of my pens and then just close her in with her babies. Of course, it would be hard to break her of the habit to hang out at the lake and build her nests down there, and I don't want to shut her up full time. Anyway, I know she wouldn't be happy about me kidnapping her babies, but she usually loses most of them anyway, so if I take a few very early on, I'll actually be doing her a favor (even if she doesn't think so).

Of course, it would probably be easier just to find someone who will sell me a young mature female next Spring. [​IMG]

5. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    You could also try and find where they nest and liberate some eggs to hatch. [​IMG]

6. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i could tell some of the drakes very early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by