When can you start giving chicks kitchen scraps? and what kind?

fleabag3

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
i was wondering how old the baby chicks have to be to be able to eat kitchen scraps, or stuff other than the feed i have been giving them. also, what is safe to give them? thanks so much!

They're fine with some scraps pretty early on, but they need grit and small pieces. I started mine on wheat berry sprouts, yogurt, and chunks of grass from outside for snacks. Make sure that you don't give them too many snacks, because it could slow down their growth.

mine get them as soon as they are willing to run under the big birds to grab them
smile.png
the bold start grabbing their share around two weeks the more timid sometimes hang back until around 4 weeks. They pick and choose what they want from the smaller stuff.

wow...thanks alot...i appreciate all the answers...especially the link to the list!! wrote it down for quick reference! why cant you give flavored yogurt? if they eat the fruit anyway?? i am going to try to give them some broccoli tomorrow..they are 3 weeks old!

I checked the list of treats...but will my 5 week old cornishX eat red or white radishes? with the greens? I have a ton in the garden and would like to let them have some. And they really like the watermelon, our weather has been so hot! And scrambled eggs too! I had to stand back and get out of the way when I put the plate in! They just weathered their first thunderstorm yesterday, and did just fine. (Can't figure out how to attach pics of them
sad.png

Geejay...i had that problem at first too...you have to upload them first in "uploads" and then attach them to your post!! hope this helps!!

Back
Top Bottom