1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can you start giving them treats?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mek, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

When can you start giving quail treats (these are japanese Quail by the way?)

And what kind of treats do you give?

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I use meal worms to kina tame my gambels and blue scale a bit I have been waiting until they are 1 - 2 months old you do not want to start them too early mealworms look a lot like gamebird toes I also feed my japs and bobs dandelion greens

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quail love fruit...apples, nectarines, peaches, even dried fruit. Snap peas in the pod, or warmed up frozen peas. Nuts! They love unsalted cashews, peanuts. Wild bird seeds...sunflower chips, milo, corn, millet and millet sprays. All kinds of greens. And yes, the mealworms are to die for! But make sure they are grown up and out of the brooder before feeding them as all the other babies feet look like worms and you don't want any toe picking habits to form. [​IMG]

You can start with a few treats while in the brooder, but keep it down to a minimum until they are out of the brooder so they eat more of their chick food.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

mine like apple,ANYTHING greens,WATERMELON is currently their fav.i think b/c it's been so hot here and w.melon has alot of good for what ails you when it's hot to it......
    i started mine on w.melon at 2 weeks old b/c that's when they were put outside in a regular cage.

5. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Depending on what type of quail you have.... Coturnix mature much faster than the others... well and Buttons. With treats I would avoid them till they are a bit grown. They are like junk food for a baby. They will eat that and eat less of the crumbles. Crumbles have about everything they need to grow fast and strong.

6. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

My crumbles are only 22% protein so I was kinda hoping for some plus value treats to give to them.. I got meal worms but I am avoiding that until they are full grown.
    I will prolly boil some beans for them and look for some chickweed.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:Mek, make up some hard boiled eggs. The yolk is full of protein. Depending on how many babies you have, an entire yolk will probably feed 10 babies. Feed it twice a day to up the protein. [​IMG]

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I only give extras to the layers...so that's about 9 weeks and on... mealworms mealworms mealworms [​IMG]

9. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    If you feed egg yolk no matter the age be srue not to leave it with them. Egg yolk goes bad unlike crumbles and mealworms but does have high proteins [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by