When can you start giving your chickens "Treats"?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicken daddy, May 15, 2011.

1. chicken daddy

chicken daddy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Louisville
    I just got my new chicks. They are 5 weeks old. 2 Barred Rocks and 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte!! They are great. This is our first ever chicken adventure and I'm not sure when it is ok to start giving them other things to eat besides feed. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I wait until they are feathered before giving them treats. Make sure to give them grit so they can chew their treats. I usually start with grass or weeds from my garden and then go to scratch (corn, oats, sunflowers.... Ect...). Try not to overdue it right away and even my big chickens only get a small bucket full (I have 30 to give).

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, I would wait till they are at least 6 weeks old. Don't over do it at first so they continue to eat their chick food. But as said in the last post, scratch mixed with other bird seeds is good. Mine LOVE raisins. Dried meal worms are good for them. All sorts of veggies are good for them also. They will be leary of new foods at first, but once they discover other things, they will love you forever! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by