When can you start to feed your Quails normal feed?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Jth15, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Jth15

Jth15 New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Hi everyone, I'm new to quails and hopefully plan on getting some in the near future (but of course, research first before i decide to get into it). I was wondering at what age do you get your quails off the starter feed and move them over to the normal adult feed? I am wondering because I am not sure yet if I want to get quails that are about 5 weeks or if I should get them when they are younger (1 week). Thank you for your help! Glad I found this place, it has been very helpful for someone like me who is deciding whether they should go into quails. :)

2. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    I feed mine 28% game bird from day one. I do grind it up the first week for them.

3. Jth15

Jth15 New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Hmm, so it is not necessary to start off with game bird starter feed? Thanks for the input. I was feeling a bit confused with when to switch because i was worried that if i do get younger quails i might end up switching too early or too late and causing health problems. Thanks!

4. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    I pretty much feed mine 27 percent starter all the time. if they are out I feed a 22 percent grower finisher feed.

they seem to do fine on the higher protein. but if you wanted to switch if your getting cotournix I would say anytime after 6 weeks of age.

5. Jth15

Jth15 New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Thanks! I was thinking that if I used starter I would have to throw away the leftover starter after I switched and that would be a waste, but it's good to know that I can keep feeding them the starter until it's finished :)

6. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey and that's awesome that you're researching :D

With any animal, when switching food it's ideal to do it gradually by adding varying percentages of each feed until all you are feeding is the new feed. [​IMG]

This will help with possible stomach upset and won't be such a shock. It will also help you constructively use up that last bit of starter feed [​IMG]

7. Jth15

Jth15 New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Oh yeah! That's true, thanks for the great reminder; That will definitely help with gradually finishing the starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by