when can you tell if an EE is a boy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by homemakerjulie, May 13, 2011.

1. homemakerjulie

homemakerjulie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    When can you start to tell, I know they have the pea comb, and I have been reading about seeing three lines as a tell tell sign, when does that pop up? I have five little EE's, between 2 and 3 weeks old. There combs are more noticable, and I can see the three lines, but I don't know if it's just because they are about a week older than the other three, or if it's because they are boys. Trying to learn this myself so I don't have to ask you all every few days!

Thanks,
    Julie

I did get a few pictures, just haven't loaded them up yet, was mostly just asking for general info.

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    If their combs have 3 lines and are red, or if they start getting out of place splashes of red or brown on their shoulders they are boys. And post pics, lol. I couldn't tell if my own EE was a boy or girl, but am fairly accurate on everyone elses. [​IMG]

3. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Some people can color sex but I never have any luck with that early on.

I wait until they are 5 weeks old before I even start looking at them for gender purposes. By then, the boys have noticeably large and pink combs (and they are much easier to feather sex).

Occasionally I will have pullets with pink combs which lack size, or those without color in the comb but have 3 ridges.

Every now and again one stumps me so I keep it around longer until I know for sure.

4. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:Here's my girl that turned roo at 22 weeks old - stink! He's a pure Ameraucana, but you can see the comb.

[​IMG]

5. homemakerjulie

homemakerjulie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    Wow at 22 weeks! I don't mind the rooster, we are trying to find a few that'll get along and not want to kill us or the kids, only way to do that is trial an error, but I don't want to go seeking out MORE roosters if I already have like 6 little ones! And I know for sure I have 2 black sex link boys (suppose to be Ancona's! TSC doesn't know what they are doing!), and I am thinking maybe one BR roo, but they are just barely a week old, simply going by that one looks different than the others, and my son wanted a yellow rooster, and had heard that the Cochins were gentle, so I got 2 buff Cochins coming at the beginning of June. I think I have enough to get a good sample and find a few that'll do well with us and each other, hopefully!

That picture you shared, he's pretty though [​IMG], even if he is a little bugger for changing! Okay, I have pictures ready now to share.

not the best pictures, I think there isn't enough light in there. I'll get some more in better light, probably in a week or so when they are a tad older too.
    first two are the same bird
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Julie

6. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
  7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I raised a batch of 37 straight run Easter Eggers this spring and have gotten pretty good at sexing them by color. When they're fully feathered (about 6-8 weeks) you can post pics and we can tell you based on color! [​IMG]

BTW, is anyone looking to buy some real pretty and docile Easter Egger roosters? If so, PM me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by